In this episode...
Karen sits down with Modi, the comedian making Jewish humor cool. Modi’s known for his lighthearted takes on the ups and downs of Jewish life in the 21st century, and he’s got so much insight to share about everything from why the Jews are the ‘choosing people’ rather than the chosen people, to how to double down on Jewish joy in a time of rising antisemitism.
You’ll find out:
- What Modi’s learned from performing in Jewish communities all over the world
- The difference between American and English Jews
- What Moshiach energy is all about
- Where Modi gets his material
- What it’s like for Modi working with his husband, Leo
- Why Jews are the choosing people, not the chosen people
- How Modi makes his shows enjoyable and accessible for both Jews and non-Jews
- What Modi’s Israeli-American upbringing was like
- Why Modi’s not funny offstage
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
Voted one of the top 10 comedians in New York City by The Hollywood Reporter, Modi is one of the comedy circuit's most sought after performers. Born in Tel Aviv, Israel, Modi emigrated with his family to the United States at the age of seven and was raised on Long Island. After graduating from Boston University, he worked as an investment banker until his first open-mic night made him realize that stand-up was his true calling. Equipped with a sharp wit and a knack for reading an audience, Modi has gone on to become a successful fixture in New York's vibrant comedy scene, often doing bits that incorporate his heritage, and he is a hit with diverse Jewish audiences as well as fans of all backgrounds and beliefs.