In this episode...
Karen sits down with Rabbi Rena Singer, co-founder of Modern Ritual along with Rabbi Samantha Frank, to chat about teaching deep Judaism on social media. Since its founding in 2017, @modern_ritual has been responsible for some of the most engaging and accessible Jewish content on Instagram, committed to lowering the barriers to Judaism without watering down the content. Rabbi Rena speaks about shedding the shoulds; her commitment to redefining Judaism in a fresh, non-intimidating way; and the age-old question of why we, as Jews, so often feel like we’re doing it all wrong (and why we shouldn’t!).
You’ll find out:
- What it was like for Rabbi Rena growing up as the daughter of two rabbis in one of the US’s most secular cities
- Why your Jewish identity shouldn’t be determined by your level of Jewish knowledge
- What it means to be a glitter rabbi
- How Modern Ritual challenges people’s assumptions about religion
- Why Judaism is all about balance
- Translating success outside the bounds of social media
- The importance of self-talk in building up Jewish identity
- What’s next for Modern Ritual
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Rabbi Rena Singer of Modern Ritual
Rabbi Rena Singer is one half of Modern Ritual, alongside Rabbi Samantha Frank. The pair started Modern Ritual as rabbinical students in the spring of 2017 when they found themselves craving engaging, beautiful Jewish content on Instagram. Both graduates of Hebrew Union College – Jewish Institute of Religion, Rabbi Rena and Rabbi Samantha are passionate about spreading their love of Judaism and encouraging others to embrace their own Jewish identities.