In this episode...
Karen sits down with Jewish educator and author Ben M. Freeman to discuss all things Jewish pride. The founder of the modern Jewish pride movement, Ben shares all about his own journey to owning his Jewish identity – and how it was set in motion by his experiences as a proud gay man. Ben wants to make sure we stop allowing the non-Jewish world to define our narratives – and his approach is truly changing the Jewish world!
You’ll find out:
- How Ben became one of the world’s top experts on Jewish pride – and how his identity as a gay man played a role in his journey
- Unpacking internalized anti-Jewishness
- Why there’s no such thing as good Jews or bad Jews
- The importance of reclaiming our story as Jews
- Why Jewish pride is a revolution
- The most important thing the non-Jewish world can do
- Why Ben wears a kippah every day
- Ben’s recommendations for talking about Israel – and the importance of making sure we know our stuff before weighing in publicly
- Why Ben doesn’t use the term antisemitism
To share your thoughts:
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes.
Ben M. Freeman
Founder of the modern Jewish Pride movement, a Jewish leader, a Jewish thinker, and a Jewish educator, Ben M. Freeman is the author of Jewish Pride: Rebuilding a People and Reclaiming our Story: The Pursuit of Jewish Pride. He is an internationally renowned gay Jewish author and educator focusing on Jewish identity and historical and contemporary Jew-hatred. A Holocaust scholar for over fifteen years, Ben came to prominence during the Corbyn Labour Jew-hate crisis and quickly became one of his generation's leading Jewish thinkers and voices against anti-Jewish racism.