In this episode...
In today’s episode, Karen sits down with mega-talented Brooklyn-based designer Ariel Tidhar. Best known for her fresh, contemporary approach to Jewish jewelry and accessories, Ariel’s fun, modern pieces are spreading Jewish joy far and wide. They dive deep into what it means to identify as “unapologetically Jewish” amidst rising antisemitism, the power of #PDJs (public displays of Judaism), and how to own your Jewishness, right now, just as you are.
You’ll find out:
- How Ariel launched her brand
- Why pomegranates are the Jewish symbol of the future
- All about Ariel’s Israeli-American upbringing – and the differences between Israeli and American attitudes toward Jewish identity
- The moment Ariel realized how much her Jewish identity means to her
- How rising antisemitism and the pandemic have impacted her business
- What it means to be unapologetically Jewish
- The secrets to her success as an entrepreneur
- Why she’ll never make bagel earrings
- The advice she’d give to someone who’s struggling to feel authentically Jewish
Ariel Tidhar was born and raised in Chicago in an American-Israeli family. She grew up being sent to school with a packed lunch of pita & hummus with Israeli pickled eggplant on the side. She has vivid memories of being infatuated by the arts and being in art and sewing classes from a young age. At 18, Ariel moved to Brooklyn, NY to study fashion design. She graduated in May 2016 from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY with a Bachelors of Fine Art in Fashion Design. During her time at Pratt, Ariel fell in love with textile, embellishment, and color. Her work has evolved to combine a sprinkle of Jewish humor as well as nostalgic references that honor her Israeli roots. Ariel Tidhar's namesake Judaica brand consists of jewelry, accessories and homewares that combines a love for Jewish tradition with a sprinkling of clean lines met with embellishments, sparkle and lots of color. Tidhar has been featured in the likes of HeyAlma, TeenVogue, on Food Network star Molly Yeh, TimeOutNY and more.